In the Wild for July 17, 2009
News and notes from the past few weeks. Let us know what we missed!
- Michael Cramer's Sparkline Widget (in Canvas): Michael Cramer has created a Sparkline Widget for YUI that uses Canvas to generate Tufte-esque sparklines; check out his introduction to the widget on his blog and a demo page here.
- YUI Menus, Overlays and More on Sigalert.com: Traffic site Sigalert makes excellent use of Todd Kloots's YUI Menu Control, as well as a host of other YUI utilities and widgets.
- Job Site The Ladders Using YUI AutoComplete and More: The Ladders (theladders.com) is a high-end jobs site featuring positions paying $100,000 or more. You'll find a variety of YUI 2.7.0 components on the site, including a fantastic implementation of Jenny Han Donnelly's YUI AutoComplete Control on the site's main job search control.
- Podcast: Jonathan LeBlanc on YUI 3: YUIBlog contributor Jonathan LeBlanc, a technical evangelist on the Yahoo Developer Network team, was in South Carolina and did a series of podcasts with Period Three. One of these was on YUI 3, which went into official beta recently. Click through for the video. You can read more about YUI 3 on the Yahoo Developer Network site.
- 15 Really Useful Web-based HTML Editors: Dav Glass's YUI Rich Text Editor is among the editors featured in Webdesignbooth's 15 Really Useful Web-based HTML Editors. Writes the author: "The Rich Text Editor is part of the Yahoo YUI library and users can easily extend the features via creating plugins for it." Check out Dav's documentation and examples for more.
- Christian Heilmann's GeoMaker, Featuring YUI DataTable and Yahoo! Placemaker: Christian Heilmann, technical evangelist for the Yahoo! Developer Network, has coded up GeoMaker, a nice interface on top of the fabulous Yahoo! Placemaker API. Christian's UI leverages Todd Kloots's YUI Button Control and Jenny Han Donnelly's YUI DataTable Control. Check out the blog post here; a screencast follows below.
- YUI Components with DWR — DWRDataSource: Vijay Dendukuri writes on his JavaChap blog: "I’m working on project which uses YUI and DWR. The hardest part is intergrating these two. I googled on how people integrated YUI and DWR, found this and this. But these solutions will only work with earlier versions of YUI. I’m using YUI 2.7. So i ended up writing my own DWRDataSource. Might be useful for guys who want to integrate DWR and YUI 2.7." (Original source.)