Announcing YUI 3.5.0
We are pleased to announce YUI 3.5.0, now available on CDN at http://yui.yahooapis.com/3.5.0/build/yui/yui-min.js or as a download. Highlights for this release include:
- Availability of YUI in Node.js as an NPM module
- Formal introduction of "night", our second skin offering
- Introduction of App, Button, CSSButton, Handlebars, Pjax, TestConsole components
- Refactoring of CSS Grids to be even more lightweight and versatile
- Refactoring of the Get utility for additional feature support and performance enhancements
- Refactoring of Loader to implement Get’s asynchronous functionality
- The Uploader component received an HTML5 implementation which includes drag-and-drop functionality, plus a much improved progressive enhancement scenario, granular queue management and accessibility.
- Keyboard navigation add to the Calendar component
- Enhancements to App, Charts, and DataTable components
- Numerous bug fixes
We received a great number of pull requests and other contributions from the community during this release cycle! We would like to give a special shout to the following contributions from the community:
- Calendar lang packs contributed by Marzelpan (German), leonardomartins (Portuguese), raytjwen (Chinese), and osmestad (Norwegian)
- Todd Smith (stlsmiths on the forum, t_smith in #yui, no relation to Luke Smith) created a list of examples using the preview releases and was a great help forecasting and promoting the DataTable changes.
Notable changes and deprecations to the API this release include:
- The App Framework family of modules, including Model, Controller/Router, and View have received significant enhancements. An overview of the changes was covered in an earlier blog post, and a detailed list of changes can be found in the history file.
- We introduced asynchronous loading in Loader by default. This means that any script
Loaderinjects into the page will be loaded asynchronously. This will decrease load time and improve performance by allowing the browser to fetch as many scripts at once as it can. If your custom modules are properly wrapped in a
YUI.addcallback, you will see no difference at all. However, if you are loading custom modules that require ordered script loading (depends on another dynamic, unwrapped module), you will need to change your module config to tell
Loaderto not load these modules with the
asyncflag. You can do this by adding an
async: falseconfig to its module definition and
Y.Get.scriptwill not load it asynchronously.
- Uploader was refactored in order to support HTML5 functionality when available. The 3.4.1 version was deprecated and made available as uploader-deprecated. A migration guide is available at http://yuilibrary.com/yui/docs/uploader/migration.html.
- An update to Charts custom formatting may cause backward compatibility issues when upgrading under certain circumstances. Please see the Known Issues section for more detail.
- DataTable was refactored in order to leverage Model, ModelList, and View. The 3.4.1 version was deprecated and made available as datatable-deprecated, datatable-base-deprecated, datatable-sort-deprecated, etc. A migration guide is available at http://yuilibrary.com/yui/docs/datatable/migration.html.
- A small number of methods, properties, and config options were deprecated in Get, but are still supported for backcompat. They'll be removed in a future release. Full details are available in Get's history file.
The rollup of 3.5.0 changes is available on our GitHub Wiki. You can also review the list of tickets that were resolved in this release.
We will be announcing our 3.6.0 roadmap and timeline very soon, so stay tuned!