Video: Developer Todd Kloots Talks about the YUI Menu Control
- Classic Menus: Classic menus, also known as "flyout menus", are vertically-aligned with submenus flying out to the side when an item is selected;
- Context Menus: Context menus are classic-style menus invoked by performing a special triggering action, usually a right-click, on a target object;
- Application-style Menus: Made familiar in the desktop software paradigm, application style menus — or Menu Bars — consist of a horizontal row of menu items, each of which can trigger a classic-style (vertically aligned) menu when selected.
In this 25-minute video, YUI Menu Control author Todd Kloots introduces the Menu Control, its three supported interaction styles, and its common implementation patterns.
- The YUI Menu Control user guide
- The YUI Menu Control examples roster
- API Documentation for the YUI Menu Control
- Cheat Sheet for the YUI Menu Control
- Download YUI, including the YUI Menu Control, functional examples, and API documentation
- PDF version of the presentation Todd is using in the video
For best results, click through to view the video on Yahoo! Video directly; once there, you can pause the video and let it download entirely for uninterrupted playback even on a slow connection.
For those who require a portable video format, an iPod-compatible version of this video can be downloaded here.